Globally, Shopify is the second most popular e-commerce platform, ranking next to WooCommerce. Some 4 million e-stores across different sectors use it (Builtwith.com). Being an “all-in-one” e-commerce solution, it powers many renowned and lesser-known brands.
If your store is one among those, you’d benefit by reading this ultimate Shopify email marketing guide. Shopify statistics say that email marketing results in the highest conversions (4.29%) for Shopify stores.
This is far higher than that of direct marketing, search media marketing, social media marketing, SMS marketing, or pay-per-click advertising. So, Shopify stores should make the most out of their email marketing efforts. This blog tells you how.
But first things first.
Why is Email Marketing Vital for Shopify Stores?
As mentioned earlier, Shopify email marketing brings in the highest conversions. Several factors contribute to this. These include-
- Its affordability: There are many reasonably-priced email marketing solutions out there offering useful features and functionalities.
- It’s personal: Shopify email marketing lets you get in touch with your subscribers and tell them that you remember them!
- It’s direct: By letting you to meaningfully segment your audiences, Shopify helps you reach out to them in a straightforward and well-targeted manner.
- It’s data-driven: You get email marketing analytics and an A/B testing feature that lets you enhance your campaign performances regularly!
How to Make Your Shopify Email Marketing Effective?
There are many ways in which you can get the utmost out of your Shopify email marketing efforts. Let’s discuss each of these in detail.
1. Make your emails mobile-friendly
Statistics say that 26 to 78% of emails are opened on mobile devices (emailmonday) and 79% of Shopify’s traffic comprises those from mobile devices (Shopify&You). This conveys how important it is to make your Shopify marketing emails mobile-friendly.
So, ensure that your emails deliver a good user experience. Recipients shouldn’t be in a situation to zoom in and out of their screens to read or interact with your content. Your email layout should be responsive to the device on which it’s read.
Use a fluid email design to ensure that the width of images and tables automatically adjusts to the device’s screen size.
2. Work on improving the delivery rates
Spam Laws say that 45% of emails sent around the world end up in the receiver’s spam folder. You can combat poor email deliverability in several ways including-
- Send your marketing emails only to those people who’ve expressed their interest in receiving those by opting into the email subscribers list.
- Send only those messages that the receiver would find valuable.
- Set an email preference center to know what kind of content a subscriber would like to receive and how often he or she’d like to receive emails from you.
- Regularly remove inactive and unengaged users from your email list. Also, make an easy and clear provision for those who’d wish to unsubscribe from your list.
3. Put effort into improving the open rates
The main reasons why email open rates are poor are improper sender names, subject lines, and preview text. A/B testing your emails can help prevent this. Use that feature to send emails with different sender names, subject lines, and preview text to different sets of subscribers.
Your preview text should shortly summarize the message contained in the email. The analytical reports on the email open rates will give you insights into what works and what doesn’t. While tailoring your future emails go by those emails that received higher open rates.
4. Personalize your email messages
Personalizing your emails is another efficient way to improve your email engagement rate. However, personalization is more than just addressing the recipient by his/her name. Here are some personalization techniques-
- Segment: Segment your subscribers into meaningful groups based on their location, demographics, purchase history, browsing patterns, etc. This will help you send relevant messages.
- Trigger emails: Set your email marketing tool to send out emails in response to specific customer actions such as signing up, browsing a product, ordering an item, leaving a review, etc.
- Remember important dates: Set your email marketing software to send our wishes on the customer’s birthday, wedding anniversary, etc.
- Personalize your content: Make sure that your content is relevant, humorous, and less formal.
5. Stick to relevant content
Never send marketing emails just because you have to. Before you send an email, make sure that it’s relevant to the recipient. Send only the right content to the right person at the right time. This is where segmentation can immensely help.
One more technique that can boost relevancy is employing dynamic content. It is displaying different content to different people based on their preferences. It can help deliver well-tailored email content to each subscriber, and thus, improve your conversions.
6. Work on improving your click-through rates
You can gauge the success of your Shopify email marketing campaigns through their click-through rates. For, it conveys that your subscribers are closer to converting. Here are certain ways to work on your click-through rates.
- Use statistics in your message. Including data adds credibility to your message and makes it attractive.
- Use relevant images.
- Avoid hiding vital info in the images. In case images are blocked by default, this can be detrimental to your marketing.
- Write short emails. If it has to be long, break it into smaller paragraphs with subheadings.
- Have a clear, relevant, and compelling Call-to-Action (CTA) in your Shopify marketing email.
7. Pay attention to the template you use
Nowadays, good email marketing software offers plenty of attractive email templates to choose from. Use a template that would best suit your message and audience. And for every new campaign, use a new template to retain the interest of your audience.
When you select a template make sure that it goes with the colors of your brand. And keep in mind that a simple and minimalistic design works. Further, go for a template with easy-to-read fonts.
8. Be consistent
Just like the case with any other marketing, your email marketing needs to be consistent. Stick to a timeline and send out your Shopify email marketing regularly. When they sign up, let your subscribers know of the frequency and timing of your emails. This will help lower unsubscription rates.
Also, exhibit consistency concerning adhering to your brand voice and messaging. Use an authentic voice. Have a written style guide handy so that your team can look into it whenever they aren’t sure of something.
9. Send it out at the right time
Get to know the right time for sending your Shopify marketing emails. This will increase your reach and visibility. Email marketers say that the best email sending time is on Thursdays between 8 am and 9 am and the worst is on Wednesdays and Tuesdays between 8 am and 10 am.
The send times suitability also varies based on the device that your subscribers use. For, while mobile users are active in the evening, desktop users are generally active from morning to mid-day.
The demographics of the audience you’re targeting also have a big say in the timing. For instance, evening times may work well for the tech-savvy younger generation.
Get the right email marketing software for your Shopify store!
Your Shopify email marketing efforts can be boosted with the right software.
NotifyVisitors email marketing tool has powerful features like dynamic content, appealing and responsive templates, extensive customization, well-timed messaging, triggered emails, sequential autoresponders, useful analytics, and more to grace your email marketing.
Shopify email marketing can bring you good returns if done properly. We’ve discussed the most effective ways in which you can get them right. So, do make use of this valuable information in your future email marketing endeavours. We wish you all the very best!
NotifyVisitors email marketing software is specifically designed for Shopify stores. If you want to launch an email marketing campaign for your Shopify stores then don’t forget to try NotifyVisitors free plan.
1. Why does Shopify email marketing matter?
Shopify statistics say that email marketing results in the highest conversions (4.29%) for Shopify stores. Since this is far higher than that of direct marketing, search media marketing, social media marketing, SMS marketing, or pay-per-click advertising, Shopify stores should direct adequate effort into email marketing.
Email marketing for Shopify stores is affordable, personal, direct, and data-driven. And that’s why it brings in great returns if done properly.
Some of the vital email marketing performance metrics include the delivery rate, open rate, and click-through rate. Your email marketing software’s analytics will provide you with these metrics for each campaign you run.
- 11 Effective Email List Building Tips for Shopify Stores
- 9 Best Shopify Email Templates to Increase Conversions
- 11 Tips to Increase Email Engagement for Shopify Stores
- 19 Best Email Marketing Software and Tools
- How to Choose Email Marketing Software for Your Business?