What is IT Project Management? Everything you Need to Know
Information technology has been a study of interest since the advent of the internet. Almost every field has some kind of IT integrated service. Some industries specialize in IT, performing only IT-related services. In this blog, we will learn in detail about what IT project management is.
Definition of IT Project Management
IT project management is like any other project management. Except, the project here is something related to Information Technology. The following are the kinds of IT projects that an organization/company carries out:
1. Installation of hardware(Like servers, computers, etc.)
2. Development of software
3. Upgrading network systems
4. Management of data or Data processing
The project undertaken is different from other project management processes. But the methods and structure of the project management are more or less the same. An IT project management also has Planning, organizing, leading, and controlling.
Phases of IT project management
There are five phases in any project management. They are as follows:
- Monitoring & controlling
Let us discuss each of these in detail for an IT project.
This phase of the project is entirely focused on the project manager being able to understand the scope. In IT project management, this phase requires meeting with the client because a direct meeting with the client ensures that the IT product delivered is what the client needs.
For example, consider software development for a client. The client has specified it to be a bike race game. But to make sure what kind of environment the client expects, it is essential to meet the client. This way, you avoid spending resources on something that the client does not want. This phase ensures that you get what exactly the client needs.
In any project, Planning is of the essence. Especially when it comes to IT-related products, every piece of tech and resources planned must meet the goal. In an IT project plan, the expected delivery date must be before the actual delivery date. This is because IT is a fast-paced industry. It requires product delivery on time, or the product is of no use in the market. You must plan all the risk factors, time, cost, and tasks in this phase of the project.
For example, consider an IT project plan for setting up a server room in the client’s company. The project plan must initially consider the quantity and specifications needed for the client. Then you must plan for all the electronic boards and cabinets required to make it possible. The IT project plan must also have information about the start and endpoints of each task.
After creating the IT project plan, the next step is to execute them according to the plan. This phase aims to create deliverables in the planned order.
Consider the previous example of the creation of servers. Here, the boards and the systems required get manufactured first. According to the plan, the creation of cabinets takes place later. The creation and assembly of electronic boards are the main deliverables of the project. So the project gets executed in that order.
4) Monitoring & Controlling
This phase of IT project management takes place simultaneously with the execution phase. The project manager monitors everything that happens within the team and keeps the resources within their limit. The IT project plan mentions the quantity of usage of resources at each level of the project. The project manager tries to control the resources within the allotted limits.
This phase officially marks the end of the project’s lifecycle. In IT project management, project closure ensures that you have completed all the project work. After this phase, the project manager relieves the team of their duties towards the project.
Consider the example of the server. After the delivery and assembly of servers in the server room, the project officially ends. After the Service Agreement documents get authorized, the project is ready for closure.
IT Project Management Methodologies
In this method, the project gets split into small modules. Using this method will allow you to evaluate the project after each module’s completion. This method is widely used in IT project management. This is due to the increased accuracy in the project at each step. When it comes to IT, each module must fit well with the others to ensure smooth operation. This is why most IT companies prefer this method. One of the main advantages of this method is making changes to optimize the IT project plan.
2. Six Sigma
This method of project management focuses on maintaining the integrity of the project. This method is highly effective in conveying the duties of each team member. Using this method, you can measure and analyze every aspect of the project. You can effectively carry out risk assessments using this method since it forces you to analyze each step.
The waterfall is one of the classical methods in project management. This method follows a sequence of steps in order to complete the entire project. The method follows the following process:
- Analysis: Involves collecting information about the tasks.
- Requirement: Use the collected information to list out the requirements for the project.
- Design: A systematic creation of the tasks needed to complete the project.
- Development: Implementation of all tools, efforts, and resources to complete the tasks takes place.
- Testing: In any IT project management, testing is of utmost importance. Evaluation of the project takes place to see if the end result fits the scope.
- Deployment: This is the delivery of the project to the client.
This method enforces the importance of carrying out the tasks in this order. This makes the method the best one to deliver quality projects.
This is one of the most innovative methods of IT project management. This is highly suitable for IT-related projects since it uses visual cards. These cards are very helpful in keeping the employees engaged. It also helps the project manager to assign tasks remotely. Since the pandemic and the rise in remote works, this has become one of the most used project management methods.
IT Project Management Software
IT projects demand various skills and integration of different resources. To effectively complete an IT project, it is essential to collaborate with various teams. For example, software creation requires the skills of a programmer, a software engineer, and much more. Thus, using project management software to do your bidding is the smart way to go.
PeppyBiz‘s project management software is one of the best in the market. Our professionals understand the importance of automation in today’s world. They cater to your every need in the unique ways possible. Our project management software gives you the following exciting features:
- Discussion Boards: Raising healthy discussions helps engage team members. It enables tagging the team member to alert them of updates.
- Task prioritization: Assign priorities to tasks based on their importance through software. Specify deadlines for all small tasks to keep the team focused on the job.
- Kanban boards: Using Kanban boards, split a huge project and delegate them to the respective team members. This also lets you keep a constant check on the progress of a task.
- Gantt charts: Time is an important aspect of any project. These time-specific Gantt charts enable employees to understand the overlapping tasks. This is very helpful when there are dependencies among various tasks.
- Calendar: Using calendars, you can manage all the tasks completed and the tasks due. You can also set reminders to receive notifications.
- Files & Documents Integration: In IT project management, there are a lot of files involved. Our software serves as the repository of data to share and store in a centralized area.
- Assign Custom Roles: As a project manager, the software enables you to assign custom roles to every employee. It protects administrative data. You can also modify permissions according to the employee’s position in the project.
- Chatbox: You can be in constant touch with your clients as well as your team. Our software will serve as the perfect communication channel for all your needs.
- Timesheets: You can now monitor the time your employee spent working on a project. This effectively reduces the time spent on unproductive activities.
- Reports: You can now generate reports without the hours and hours of manual data collection. Just a few clicks and the software creates reports based on the data available.
- Customisation: This is one of the few highly customizable software. This improves flexibility and adaptability based on the company’s interests.
Apart from these features, there are many more that can help with your IT project management. Click here to know more about the powerful project management tool. You can also try out the software to see if it fits your needs. Schedule a free demo today to learn more about what we offer.
After skimming this blog, you must now know what IT project management is and the methods available. PeppyBiz’s repository of information can help you learn more about anything business-related. Click here to learn more interesting project management details.